Sunday 5 September, 2010

Kindle Update 2

Now that I have been using my Kindle 3 for 5 days, I thought maybe I should stop obsessing over it for a while and write a small review about how she has been behaving until now.

The thing is, I really love reading. That is the reason why I doubt I will even dislike a product like this. It is a pleasure to have something like this in my bag all the time. I am currently reading 4 different books at the same time and I also read my newspapers everyday on my Kindle (more on this later).

You can read all the reviews on the net and they will all tell you that the display is as close to paper as possible (I think its better). They will tell you that it is extremely light and handy. It really is all of this and more. I like reading on it in the train or in the bus or on my bed.

Coming to a couple of issues I have faced. There was an occasion when the battery that usually lasts one month went from 70% to empty in a matter of hours without me even using it. For this I blame the indexing. I had loaded about 300 books at the same time and that was a mistake. It uses a lot of resources to index every book and all the words so that it can give instantaneous search results. The second issue is that of freezing and restarting. This has been faced by other users as well and it has been credited to a bug in the firmware. Amazon has confirmed that they are working on it and will deploy a software update in the next ten days. This issue comes up only when the processor is over loaded with indexing or heavy browsing or too many PDFs. These issues should be fixed in the next update. Till then I shall go light on my Kindle and make sure I do not overburden it with too much work. These teething problems are bound to occur with new launches or new versions. It balances out the satisfaction you get out of buying something before most other people do. Do I care? No.

Posted via email from Aditya's Blog

No comments: